Monday, September 28, 2026

Nicola Easthope's 2018 twittering catch poem

Nicola Easthope is a Wellington poet who has published three books of her poetry and published her poetry in anthologies and journals. She was a contributor to A Tingling Catch, and also appears in Manifesto: 101 Political Poems.

Her poem ‘How does your sun?’ was selected for the new anthology Catching the Light in England this year.

Some years ago at a reading in Kapiti she told me she had written an experimental poem that took its lead from a review in the Waikato Times of A Tingling Catch. It's cricket related so I thought I would include it in the Tinging Catch archive as a response to the anthology. The poem appears in her second book published by The Cuba Press in 2018. 

Easthope writes: “A found poem, thanks to Google alerts and the anthology of New Zealand cricket poems, A Tingling Catch. I have lifted the tweets verbatim. The title also riffs off a Carl Sagan quote: ‘Our feeblest contemplations of the Cosmos stir us — there is a tingling in the spine, a catch in the voice, a faint sensation of a distant memory, as if we were falling from a great height. We know we are approaching the greatest of mysteries.’

NICOLA EASTHOPE

A twittering catch

timjonesbooks‎ A cool review for #cricket #poetry anthology “A Tingling Catch” in the Waikato Times Vin_diPietro‎ @marie_terese *trying to catch my breath, body tingling as I press my forehead against you I love you shaking my head in amazement* so much pawsitivlycorky‎ Having to use razor blades at work gives me a tingling sensation in my arms and a hurting in my heart that makes my throat catch. wildfeather‎ I really need to catch up on @Wendell_Howe. Seems he’s been involved in a 19th Century antiquarian excavation! My archaeology sense is tingling. NJrugger45‎ Finished wringing socks dry. Have cold. At 5th & Spring Garden, my mother’s “you’ll catch your death of pneumonia” senses are tingling. lisasalas‎ can smell the weekend… tingling with anticipation... hoping to catch the next sleep wave soon or else I’ll be writing more junk online... NarcissaBlack‎ @MissAuroraSin: Our eyes catch and suddenly my cheeks stain with a blush, body tingling and I feel like when we first started dating. Idle_Threat‎: Making my escape. You’ll never catch… um.. Wait.. Chipotlé senses tingling… this could be a trap, but I’ll just have to take that chance. MrLiqhtSkinnedd‎ RT @HaZeLeYeSMaMa: Ok this burning/tingling sensation; its ANNOYING ! It makes me catch an attitude - Yeast Infection. SullivanShadow‎ @To_Be_Empathic: He’s got me tingling all over. I pull back to catch my breath. We should stop. Before I start pulling off your clothes. seasidedolly‎ @d_h_morgan: WOOP WOOP Fantastic how’s them lovely bones holding up. Bet you’re feet are tingling, Water at last. Slowly slowly catch the Monkey X. onefiftysevenpm‎ @angelamachado @ktcronier: my ‘parents are going to say no’ senses are tingling. If it is definitely a no, catch you on the next tour. roastrestaurant‎: Catch of the day - Rainbow trout fillets with cauliflower, brown shrimps and mace butter... taste buds are tingling! copybychris‎ Dreamed I was chasing a mouse. Slapped my hand down to catch it. Woke myself up. I’d slapped my thigh so hard, my hand was tingling. Ouch. sighinstereo‎ Dear Pretentious Ponytail Guy, your conversation on interpreting Catch-22 is tickling my gag reflex. Does this actually get her tingling? Kyrisa_xoxo: Oww, almost just dropped my bass guitar, hit my elbow trying to catch it and now its tingling all down my arm :/ carpalcure: Tingling Hands, Palms, Fingers Are Early Signs of Carpal Tunnel ...: For these reasons, it’s important to catch…ThaWordsmith: I love salt n vinegar chips but I hate that first chip u eat that has u ready to catch a seizure from that tingling spot under yo jaw lol OnlyoneofmeJill: @strokinguy I think it looks cool. It feels kinda weird though it’s stopped tingling now. It’s actually comfier with a bra you don’t catch it. helloImShenaaz: Dr. Miracles styling foam is theeeeeee best. But there is a catch..it HURTS! Lol the tingling sensation isn’t where it’s at...AT ALL tho. weesels: if i could make perfection for you

i would.
if i could wrap my tingling stomach in words
and catch the warmth of your body in a net
or muse over the mathematics of your fingers
applying pressure to mine
                                          i would                         i would                        i would

Poem © Nicola Easthope

Nicola’s second book Working the tang is at The Cuba Press website, and her third book published in Australia by Walleah Press (Tasmania) is A Stoic Recovery of Disordered Seasons.

. 

No comments:

Post a Comment